Lookin’ for Adventure
In fact, here’s a disclaimer: When you do get behind the wheel of the second Tacoma in the TRD Pro Series, please follow all traffic laws.
But it’s gonna be a struggle to conform when this Tacoma comes out this fall. How could it not with a truck that’s built for white-knuckle off-road performance? The 2017 Tacoma TRD Pro has all-new factory-installed off-road equipment designed by the iconoclasts at Toyota Racing Development. That means it handles crazy, uneven and unsteady off-road terrain even better than the first generation.
This truck is aimed squarely at off-roading enthusiasts. It’s for those who think dirt is a truck’s natural habitat and pavement is just an intermediate path to more dirt.
Announced in February at the Chicago Auto Show, the Tacoma TRD Pro caused a stir as off-roaders realized the list of terrain they couldn’t conquer was now a lot shorter.
How’s It Look?
Good. Damn good. Looks tough. Of course it does.
But Toyota added a few new exterior features that entice that visceral part of your brain.
Let’s start with the colors. Super White is a holdover from the first generation, and Barcelona Red Metallic has been seen throughout Toyota’s lineup. They both look great. But the big story here is a new color: Cement. And it’s as rough and tumble as you think it could be.
But you know there’s more:
- 16-inch TRD black alloy wheels
- TRD Pro aluminum front skid plate
- High-performance ultra-compact LED fog lights
- Projector-beam headlights with LED Daytime Running Lights, auto on/off feature
- Taillights with black bezels
- TRD Pro badge on front door with diamond-pattern knurled finish
- TRD Pro and 4x4 rear tailgate badging
The inside is as comfortable as the outside is rugged. Plus, the 2017 Tacoma TRD Pro comes with the latest safety technologies, helping to make sure you make it home for your post-adventure dinner.
The new truck combines sportiness and convenience with standard features that include:
- Blind Spot Monitor and Rear Cross-Traffic Alert
- Black TRD Pro leather-trimmed heated front seats with TRD Pro logo located in the headrest
- 4-way adjustable driver’s seat with lumbar support and 4-way adjustable front passenger seat
And, just like all other Tacoma models, the Tacoma TRD Pro features a GoPro mount on the windshield.
Oh, lookie here: It’s the option of a 6-speed manual (with clutch start-cancel switch) or 6-speed automatic transmission. That should make all the manual enthusiasts even more, you know, enthusiastic.
Meanwhile, under the hood you’ll get a 3.5-liter V-6 DOHC 24-valve direct-injection Atkinson-cycle engine.
Plus, Tacoma TRD Pro really earns its off-road cred with its TRD-installed suspension and exhaust enhancements that include:
- FOX 2.5 Internal Bypass shocks tuned by TRD
- TRD-tuned front springs with a 1-inch lift
- TRD-tuned rear suspension with progressive-rate TRD leaf spring